Use your phone to connect to an interpreter in less than a minute.
Today’s telephone technologies enable you to connect to a professional interpreter in less than a minute, regardless of your location or the time of day. That’s important in call centres, during an emergency situation, or when you have frequent short-duration interpreting needs in a wide range of languages.
The beauty of Quick-Connect (Over-the-Phone Interpreting) is that it lets you manage the unpredictable in a cost-effective manner while maintaining a high standard of service.
All remote interpreters are tested to ensure they meet rigorous requirements and their calls are regularly reviewed for quality purposes.
Quick-Connect service fees are based on a small rate-per-minute charge, so you only pay for what you use.
Mastering multilingual communication is mandatory in Canada.
According to recent census data, 21% of Canada’s population spoke a neither official language as their mother tongue. Over 13% do not speak English with native fluency. As Statistics Canada projects that immigration will be the primary factor in population growth — these numbers will only increase.
This document will help you better understand the value of Quick-Connect and why it is an essential support service for every company requiring interpreting services, occasionally or frequently.
Quick-Connect is easy to use
When Quick-Connect is required, you simply call a dedicated toll-free number to reach a live attendant who will identify your language needs and connect you to the appropriate telephone interpreter.
You can dial the toll-free number 24/7 from a desk line or your cell phone.
It usually takes less than a minute to be connected to an interpreter, but it could take longer, depending on the complexity of your situation. Billing starts as soon as the live attendant connects you to the interpreter.
Once you are connected with an interpreter, use either the conference call feature or turn on the external speaker of your phone so both you and the limited English-speaking person can hear the interpreter clearly.
Available when you need it
This service offers you the freedom of connecting to an interpreter in less than a minute on a 24/7 basis. This service is ideal when:
- A random and/or predicted interpreting need arises
- There is an emergency
- You have frequent short-duration interpreting requirements
- Your needs are general in nature (not complex)
- You require different interpreters for a single or series of calls
- You require an interpreter for less than 15 – 20 minutes
Frequent users of Quick-Connect
Some industries often cannot foresee when an interpreter will be required and must respond immediately when the need arises.
The top 10 industries using Quick-Connect have one thing in common. They all are frequently challenged in serving a wide population of people with limited spoken English.
- Call centres
- Finance and banking
- Medical and healthcare
- Retail and customer service
- Travel, tourism and hospitality
How does Quick-Connect work?
Quick-Connect relies on call centre systems, CRM applications and networking technologies. Call centre systems distribute high volumes of calls instantaneously to attendants who answer your calls, on average, in less than three seconds.
The CRM applications manage all client information, order processing and billing.
Networking technologies provide a secure connection between you and the telephone interpreter, who may be located in a local office or a remote location. Call quality over landlines is always very good.
Quick-Connect is a top-class service with a resource base of over 2,500 professional interpreters. Having a large base to choose from means you have access to some of the best interpreters in the world.
A stringent selection process is used to contract high-quality interpreters with certifications and specialized domain expertise. Quick-Connect is not a training ground for people seeking to enter the industry or for those trying to develop their skills.
Interpreters who work for us typically have:
- An undergraduate degree
- Native or near native-level fluency in the foreign language as well as fluency in English
- More than one year of specialized experience in interpreting, translating or other such experience requiring the use of English and the foreign language for which the interpretation/translation is being provided
- Training and/or certification with a language proficiency test
- Superior communication and customer service skills
- All Quick-Connect Interpreters retained through All Languages receive a contract and training package which goes into details about important aspects of interpreting, including a Code of Ethics for Professional Interpreters and the importance of neutrality, accuracy, confidentiality, and lack of bias in interpreting
What to expect from a telephone- based interpreter
- Cooperative and helpful
- Cultural sensitivity
- High degree of professionalism
- Native language expertise
- Subject matter expertise
- Tools to record the call if requested
Quick-Connect or face-to-face?
Each interpreting mode has its strengths and weaknesses, but it is hard to argue against the fact that face-to-face interpreting provides a multi-dimensional experience that cannot be replicated over the phone.
During a face-to-face assignment, the interpreter has the benefit of seeing body language and facial expressions, which help improve overall communication between parties. Also, interpreters often share the same cultural background as the limited English-speaking person and will be familiar with linguistic nuances and social behavior.
Quick-Connect can be used as a substitute for face-to-face interpreting when:
- An interpreter is needed immediately
- Requirements are general in nature
- Needs are frequent and short
- Support is required outside of normal business hours
- A remote location is involved
- Lowest possible interpreting cost is a requirement
For more information…
Contact: Frances Adler, Director of Interpreting Services Tel: (416) 975-4175