Video Remote Interpreting (VRI) bridges the gap between over-the-phone and on-site interpreting.
Video is one of many digital technologies that is having a profound impact on the way we live, work and play. Video content is exploding in volume, video communication is replacing face-to-face meetings, and video is a media of choice for e-learning.
In the language services industry, new video technologies are providing on-demand access to professional interpreters on platforms that are convenient, cost-effective and reliable. Demand for Video Remote Interpreting (VRI) is growing quickly, with early adopters coming primarily from the medical sector, where the benefits are measurable and visual support enhances overall communication.
Benefits of VRI
- Low up-front investment costs – services are available anytime, anywhere, on a device that has an internet browser supported by a high-quality broadband service (cellular, Wi-Fi, or wired line)
- High resolution – 1080P and more than 30 frames per second
- Ability to have more personalized interaction, see facial expressions and confirm the meaning of non-verbal communication
- Lower cost than utilizing on-site interpreters when appointments are short durations and/or travel costs are high
- Services charged on a per-minute basis
- Ability to record or save video at the client’s discretion
- Security available through a robust, private, encrypted network
- Interpreter call-back function guarantees no lost calls
- Professional, easy-to-use interface with clear, high-quality video and audio feed with Over-the-Phone Interpretation option as back-up
- Digital whiteboard feature displays written information
- Hardware-agnostic video software works across all common video platforms:
- PC or Mac, iPhone or iPad, Smartphone, Android phone or tablet, Cisco/TANDBERG, Polycom, and Lifesize video phones
How VRI works
Our video interpreting service provides seamless access on almost any device using your current infrastructure. All you need is a computer, laptop, tablet, or smartphone with Internet access and a webcam (with microphone). Connect to a wired or wireless network at the touch of a button.
Language and interpreter qualifications
Contact us to get the most current list of languages. Additional languages are continually being added. The VRI language list now includes:
- American Sign Language (ASL), Arabic, Bosnian, Burmese, Cantonese, Farsi, French, Haitian Creole, Korean, Mandarin, Nepali, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Somali, Swahili, Vietnamese
VRI interpreters are carefully selected and tested. All interpreters have:
- Completed medically-accredited training and workshops
- Completed a course on best practices in various settings
- Been HIPAA trained, certified, and compliant
American Sign Language (ASL) interpreters on VRI hold one or more of the following:
- NIC, NIC Advanced, or NIC Master, RID, CI, CT, IC/TC, CSC, SC:L or MCSC
- NAD Level IV or V, ACCI Level IV or V, Texas BEI-3 or higher
For more information about VRI services:
Interpreters@AllLanguages.com / Tel. 416-975-5297